“Don’t see management as a promotion, see it as a shift in role, and acknowledge that it will be a bit uncomfortable for you, and give yourself space to be okay with that.” – Smruti Patel, Engineering Manager at Stripe
Many engineering leaders move into management unprepared for precisely that reason — it requires a shift in mindset and a new set of skills. To ease that transition for new and aspiring managers, and to help seasoned managers level up, Code Climate and Codecademy for Business interviewed engineering leaders about the key components of leadership success. We spoke to VPs and Managers at companies like Netflix, Intuit, GitHub, and Stripe to find out about their most successful management strategies and the skills that they deem to be essential.
Their best advice is compiled in our ebook, How 10 Engineering Leaders Build High-Performance Teams.
“Having leaders on your team that are not managers is actually very useful because for you as a manager, that means you don’t have to do everything…leadership by influence or suggestion is actually a lot more powerful.” – Mathias Meyer, Engineering Leadership Coach, www.paperplanes.de
“I start my management relationships with the foundation of trust, respect, and accountability. A powerful way to show trust and respect for your team is by welcoming everyone’s opinions, ideas and feedback.” – Alexandra Paredes, VP of Engineering at Code Climate
“Don’t pretend like you have all the answers. Do that figuring out in front of the team because it’ll make them trust you more, not less.” – Nitika Daga, Engineering Manager at Stitch Fix
Download it now for wisdom from:
- Tara Ellis, Manager, UI Engineering at Netflix
- Brooks Swinnerton, Senior Engineering Manager at GitHub
- Gergely Nemeth, Group Engineering Manager at Intuit
- Lena Reinhard, Vice President of Product Engineering at CircleCI
- Mathias Meyer, Engineering Leadership Coach, www.paperplanes.de
- Anchal Dube, Senior Engineering Manager at Zocdoc
- Andrew Heine, Engineering Manager at Figma
- Smruti Patel, Engineering Manager at Stripe
- Nitika Daga, Engineering Manager at Stitch Fix
- Alexandra Paredes, VP of Engineering at Code Climate
Subscribe to our newsletter for more engineering intelligence.