Terms of Service
Last revised on December 14, 2015
Code Climate Inc PO Box 1145 New York, NY 10159
Code Climate Inc ("Code Climate") operates the Code Climate service, which we hope you use. If you use it, please use it responsibly. If you don't, we'll have to terminate your subscription.
For paid plans, you'll be charged on a monthly basis. You can cancel anytime, but there are no refunds.
You own the source code that you provide to Code Climate and you're responsible for keeping it safe.
The Terms of Service, the Code Climate Service, and our prices can change at any time. We'll warn you 30 days in advance of any price changes. We'll try to warn you about major changes to the Terms of Service or Code Climate, but we make no guarantees.
That's the basic idea, but you must read through the entire Terms of Service below and agree with all the details before you use any of our sites (whether or not you have signed up).
This document is an adaptation of the Heroku Terms of Service, which is turn an adaptation of the Google App Engine Terms of Service. The original work has been modified with permission under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License. Neither Heroku, Inc. nor Google, Inc. is connected with and they do not sponsor or endorse Code Climate or its use of the work.
You're welcome to adapt and use this document for your own needs. If you make an improvement, we'd appreciate it if you would let us know so we can consider improving our own document.
Your Agreement with Code Climate Inc
Your use of the Code Climate Service is governed by this agreement (the "Terms"). The "Service" means the services Code Climate makes available include our web sites (http://codeclimate.com/), our blog, our API, and any other software, sites, and services offered by Code Climate in connection to any of those. "Customer Source Code" means any source code you submit to Code Climate for the purpose of using the Service. "Content" means all content generated by Code Climate on your behalf (including metric data) and does not include Customer Source Code.
In order to use the Service, You (the "Customer", "You", or "Your") must first agree to the Terms. You understand and agree that Code Climate will treat Your use of the Service as acceptance of the Terms from that point onwards.
Code Climate may make changes to the Terms from time to time. You may reject the changes by terminating Your subscription. You understand and agree that if You use the Service after the date on which the Terms have changed, Code Climate will treat Your use as acceptance of the updated Terms.
If you have any question about the Terms, please contact us.
Your Code Climate User
- You may not use the Service if You are a person barred from receiving the Service under the laws of the United States or other countries, including the country in which You are resident or from which You use the Service.
- You may not use the service unless you are over the age of 13.
- You must be a human. Sign ups via automated methods are not permitted.
Use of the Service
- You must provide accurate and complete registration information any time You register to use the Service.
- You are responsible for the security of Your passwords and for any use of Your user.
- Your use of the Service must comply with all applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
- You agree to not engage in any activity that interferes with or disrupts the Service.
- Code Climate reserves the right to enforce quotas and usage limits (to any resources, including the API) at its sole discretion, with or without notice, which may result in Code Climate disabling or throttling your usage of the Service for any amount of time.
- Shared users are forbidden unless you pay for all Git commit authors from the last 30 days.
Service Policies and Privacy
Fees for Use of the Service
- The Service may be provided to You without charge up with certain limits or for a certain "trial" period of time.
- Usage over this limit (or after the "trial" period) or requires Your purchase of additional resources or services.
- For all purchased resources and services, we will charge Your credit card on a monthly basis.
- Payments are non-refundable. There will be no refunds or credits for partial months of service, upgrade/downgrade refunds, or refunds for months unused with an open subscription.
- Charges are solely based on Code Climate's measurements of Your use of the Service, defined as the number of members of your Code Climate Organization, unless otherwise agreed to in writing.
- All fees are exclusive of all taxes, levies, or duties imposed by taxing authorities, and You shall be responsible for payment of all such taxes, levies, or duties.
- You acknowledge and agree that any credit card and related billing and payment information that You provide to Code Climate may be shared by Code Climate with companies who work on Code Climate's behalf, such as payment processors and/or credit agencies, solely for the purposes of checking credit, effecting payment to Code Climate and servicing Your subscription.
- Code Climate may change its fees and payment policies for the Service by notifying You at least thirty (30) days before the beginning of the billing cycle in which such change will take effect.
- Your subscription includes analysis of code authored by members of your Code Climate Organization only. Code committed by other parties may be analyzed at our discretion.
Cancellation and Termination
- You must cancel Your subscription via http://codeclimate.com/. An email or phone request to cancel Your subscription is not considered cancellation.
- You will not receive any refunds if You cancel Your subscription.
- If You cancel the Service before the end of Your current paid up month, Your cancellation will take effect immediately and You will not be charged again.
- All of Customer Source Code and Content will, within a reasonable amount of time to be determined solely by Code Climate, be deleted from the Service upon cancellation.
- You agree that Code Climate, in its sole discretion and for any or no reason, may terminate or suspend Your subscription. You agree that any termination of Your access to the Service may be without prior notice, and You agree that Code Climate will not be liable to You or any third party for such termination.
Customer Source Code
- Code Climate claims no ownership or control over any Customer Source Code. You retain copyright and any other rights You already hold in the Customer Source Code and You are responsible for protecting those rights, as appropriate.
- You agree to assume full responsibility for configuring the Service to allow appropriate access to any Customer Source Code provided to the Service.
- You understand that private projects will display Customer Source Code to You and any collaborators that you designate for that project.
- You retain sole responsibility for any collaborators or third-party services that you allow to view Customer Source Code and entrust them at your own risk.
- Code Climate is not responsible if you fail to configure, or misconfigure, your project and inadvertently allow unauthorized parties to view any Customer Source Code.
Ideas and Feedback
You may choose to or we may invite You to submit comments or ideas about the Service, including but not limited to ideas about improving the Service or our products ("Ideas"). By submitting any Idea, You agree that Your disclosure is unsolicited and without restriction and will not place Code Climate under any fiduciary or other obligation, and that we are free to use the Idea without any additional compensation to You, and/or to disclose the Idea on a non-confidential basis or otherwise to anyone.
Modification of the Service
- You acknowledge and agree that the Service may change from time to time without prior notice to You.
- Changes include, without limitation, changes to fee and payment policies, security patches, added or removed functionality, and other enhancements or restrictions.
- Code Climate shall not be liable to you or to any third party for any modification, price change, suspension or discontinuance of the Service.
The Service may include hyperlinks to other web sites or content or resources or email content. You acknowledge and agree that Code Climate is not responsible for the availability of any such external sites or resources, and does not endorse any advertising, products or other materials on or available from such web sites or resources.
License from Code Climate and Restrictions
All of the content available on or through the Service, including without limitation, text, photographs, graphics, logos, trade/service marks, and/or audiovisual content, but expressly excluding Customer Source Code, is owned and/or controlled by Code Climate, or other licensors or Service users and is protected, as applicable, by copyright, trademark, trade dress, patent, and trade secret laws, other proprietary rights, and international treaties. You acknowledge that the Service and any underlying technology or software used in connection with the Service contain our proprietary information.
Subject to and conditioned upon your compliance with these Terms of Service, we grant to you a personal, worldwide, royalty-free, non-assignable and non-exclusive license to use the software provided to You by Code Climate as part of the Service as provided to You by Code Climate. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling You to use and enjoy the benefit of the Service as provided by Code Climate, in the manner permitted by the Terms.
You may not (and You may not permit anyone else to): (a) copy, modify, create a derivative work of, reverse engineer, decompile or otherwise attempt to extract the source code of the Service or any part thereof, unless this is expressly permitted or required by law, or unless You have been specifically told that You may do so by Code Climate, in writing (e.g., through an open source software license); or (b) attempt to disable or circumvent any security mechanisms used by the Service.
Open source software licenses for components of the Service released under an open source license constitute separate written agreements. To the limited extent that the open source software licenses expressly supersede these Terms of Service, the open source licenses govern Your agreement with Code Climate for the use of the components of the Service released under an open source license.
You may not use the Service in any manner that could damage, disable, overburden or impair our servers or networks, or interfere with any other users' use or enjoyment of the Service.
You may not attempt to gain unauthorized access to any of the Service, member accounts, or computer systems or networks, through hacking, password mining or any other means.
Without limiting anything else contained herein, you agree that you shall not (and you agree not to allow any third party to):
- remove any notices of copyright, trademark or other proprietary rights contained in/on or accessible through the Service or in any content or other material obtained via the Service;
- use any robot, spider, website search/retrieval application, or other automated device, process or means to access, retrieve or index any portion of the Service;
- reformat or frame any portion of the web pages that are part of the Service;
- use the Service for commercial purposes not permitted under these Terms;
- create users by automated means or under false or fraudulent pretenses;
- attempt to defeat any security or verification measure relating to the Service;
- provide or use tracking or monitoring functionality in connection with the Service, including, without limitation, to identify other users’ actions or activities;
- impersonate or attempt to impersonate Code Climate or any employee, contractor or associate of Code Climate, or any other person or entity; or
- collect or store personal data about other users in connection with the prohibited activities described in this paragraph.
Our Copyright Dispute Policy
Code Climate respects the intellectual property of others and requires that our users do the same. It is our policy to terminate the membership of repeat infringers. If you believe that material or content residing on or accessible through the Service infringes a copyright, please send a notice of copyright infringement containing the following information to the Designated Copyright Agent listed below:
- identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed, or, if multiple copyrighted works are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works;
- identification of the claimed infringing material and information reasonably sufficient to permit us to locate the material on the Code Climate Service (providing the URL(s) of the claimed infringing material satisfies this requirement);
- information reasonably sufficient to permit us to contact you, such as an address, telephone number, and an email address;
- a statement by you that you have a good faith belief that the disputed use is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law;
- a statement by you, made under penalty of perjury, that the above information in your notification is accurate and that you are the copyright owner or are authorized to act on the copyright owner's behalf; and
- your physical or electronic signature.
Our Designated Copyright Agent for notification of claimed infringement can be reached by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or at the following postal address:
Attn: Designated Copyright Agent Code Climate Inc 77 Second Ave., #2A New York, NY 10003
Links to Other Websites
The Service may contain advertisements and/or links to other websites (“Third Party Sites”). Code Climate does not endorse, sanction or verify the accuracy or ownership of the information contained in/on any Third Party Site or any products or services advertised on Third Party Sites. If you decide to leave the Site and navigate to Third Party Sites, or install any software or download content from any such Third Party Sites, you do so at your own risk. Once you access a Third Party Site through a link on our Site, you may no longer be protected by these Terms of Service and you may be subject to the terms and conditions of such Third Party Site. You should review the applicable policies, including privacy and data gathering practices, of any Third Party Site to which you navigate from the Site, or relating to any software you use or install from a Third Party Site. Concerns regarding a Third Party Site should be directed to the Third Party Site itself. Code Climate bears no responsibility for any action associated with any Third Party Site.
Disclaimer of Warranties
IF YOU ACCESS THE SERVICE, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK. WE PROVIDE THE SERVICE “AS IS”, “WITH ALL FAULTS” AND “AS AVAILABLE.” WE MAKE NO EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR GUARANTEES ABOUT THE SERVICE. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, WE HEREBY DISCLAIM ALL SUCH WARRANTIES, INCLUDING ALL STATUTORY WARRANTIES, WITH RESPECT TO THE SERVICE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ANY WARRANTIES THAT THE SERVICE IS MERCHANTABLE, OF SATISFACTORY QUALITY, ACCURATE, FIT FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NEED, OR NON-INFRINGING. WE DO NOT GUARANTEE THAT THE RESULTS THAT MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE USE OF THE SERVICE WILL BE EFFECTIVE, RELIABLE OR ACCURATE OR WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS. WE DO NOT GUARANTEE THAT YOU WILL BE ABLE TO ACCESS OR USE THE SERVICE (EITHER DIRECTLY OR THROUGH THIRD-PARTY NETWORKS) AT TIMES OR LOCATIONS OF YOUR CHOOSING. WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ACCURACY, RELIABILITY, TIMELINESS OR COMPLETENESS OF INFORMATION PROVIDED BY ANY OTHER USERS OF THE SERVICE OR ANY OTHER DATA OR INFORMATION PROVIDED OR RECEIVED THROUGH THE SERVICE. EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY SET FORTH HEREIN, CODE CLIMATE MAKES NO WARRANTIES ABOUT THE INFORMATION SYSTEMS, SOFTWARE AND FUNCTIONS MADE ACCESSIBLE BY OR THROUGH THE SERVICE OR ANY SECURITY ASSOCIATED WITH THE TRANSMISSION OF SENSITIVE INFORMATION. CODE CLIMATE DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE SERVICE WILL OPERATE ERROR-FREE, THAT ERRORS IN THE SERVICE WILL BE FIXED, THAT LOSS OF DATA WILL NOT OCCUR, OR THAT THE SERVICE OR SOFTWARE ARE FREE OF COMPUTER VIRUSES, CONTAMINANTS OR OTHER HARMFUL ITEMS. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL CODE CLIMATE, ANY OF OUR AFFILIATES, DISTRIBUTORS, PARTNERS, LICENSORS, AND/OR ANY OF OUR OR THEIR DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, CONSULTANTS, AGENTS, OR OTHER REPRESENTATIVES BE LIABLE FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE CAUSED BY YOUR RELIANCE ON INFORMATION OBTAINED THROUGH THE SERVICE.
Limitations on Liability
YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY FOR ANY DISPUTE WITH US IS THE CANCELLATION OF YOUR REGISTRATION. IN NO EVENT SHALL OUR TOTAL CUMULATIVE LIABILITY TO YOU FOR ANY AND ALL CLAIMS RELATING TO OR ARISING OUT OF YOUR USE OF THE SERVICE, REGARDLESS OF THE FORM OF ACTION, EXCEED THE GREATER OF: (A) THE TOTAL AMOUNT OF FEES, IF ANY, THAT YOU PAID TO UTILIZE THE SERVICE OR (B) ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($100). IN NO EVENT SHALL WE BE LIABLE TO YOU (OR TO ANY THIRD PARTY CLAIMING UNDER OR THROUGH YOU) FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, PUNITIVE OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES OR ANY BODILY INJURY, EMOTIONAL DISTRESS, DEATH OR ANY OTHER DAMAGES ARISING FROM YOUR USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE SERVICE, WHETHER ON-LINE OR OFF-LINE, OR OTHERWISE IN CONNECTION WITH THE SERVICE. THESE EXCLUSIONS APPLY TO ANY CLAIMS FOR LOST PROFITS, LOST DATA, LOSS OF GOODWILL OR BUSINESS REPUTATION, COST OF PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES, WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, ANY OTHER COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES, OR ANY PERSONAL INJURY OR PROPERTY DAMAGES, EVEN IF WE KNEW OR SHOULD HAVE KNOWN OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. BECAUSE SOME STATES OR JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR THE LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, IN SUCH STATES OR JURISDICTIONS, OUR LIABILITY SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. IF YOU ARE A CALIFORNIA RESIDENT, YOU WAIVE YOUR RIGHTS WITH RESPECT TO CALIFORNIA CIVIL CODE SECTION 1542, WHICH SAYS "A GENERAL RELEASE DOES NOT EXTEND TO CLAIMS WHICH THE CREDITOR DOES NOT KNOW OR SUSPECT TO EXIST IN HIS FAVOR AT THE TIME OF EXECUTING THE RELEASE, WHICH, IF KNOWN BY HIM MUST HAVE MATERIALLY AFFECTED HIS SETTLEMENT WITH THE DEBTOR.”
You agree to hold harmless and indemnify Code Climate, and its subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, agents, employees, advertisers, licensors, suppliers or partners (collectively "Code Climate and Partners") from and against any third party claim arising from or in any way related to (a) Your breach of the Terms, (b) Your use of the Service, (c) Your violation of applicable laws, rules or regulations in connection with the Service, or (d) Your Customer Source Code, including any liability or expense arising from all claims, losses, damages (actual and consequential), suits, judgments, litigation costs and attorneys' fees, of every kind and nature. In such a case, Code Climate will provide You with written notice of such claim, suit or action.
Choice of Law and Dispute Resolution
The Terms of Service shall be deemed to have been entered into and shall be construed and enforced in accordance with the laws of the State of New York as applied to contracts made and performed entirely within New York, without giving effect to any conflicts of law statutes. Any controversy, dispute or claim arising out of or related to the Terms of Service or the Service shall be settled by final and binding arbitration to be conducted by an arbitration tribunal in the State of New York and the County of New York, pursuant to the rules of the American Arbitration Association. Any and all disputes that you may have with Code Climate shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action.
General Legal Terms
The Terms constitute the whole legal agreement between You and Code Climate and govern Your use of the Service and completely replace any prior agreements between You and Code Climate in relation to the Service.
If any part of the Terms of Service is held invalid or unenforceable, that portion shall be construed in a manner consistent with applicable law to reflect, as nearly as possible, the original intentions of the parties, and the remaining portions shall remain in full force and effect.
The failure of Code Climate to exercise or enforce any right or provision of the Terms of Service shall not constitute a waiver of such right or provision. The failure of either party to exercise in any respect any right provided for herein shall not be deemed a waiver of any further rights hereunder.
You agree that if Code Climate does not exercise or enforce any legal right or remedy which is contained in the Terms (or which Code Climate has the benefit of under any applicable law), this will not be taken to be a formal waiver of Code Climate's rights and that those rights or remedies will still be available to Code Climate.
Code Climate shall not be liable for failing or delaying performance of its obligations resulting from any condition beyond its reasonable control, including but not limited to, governmental action, acts of terrorism, earthquake, fire, flood or other acts of God, labor conditions, power failures, and Internet disturbances.
We may assign this contract at any time to any parent, subsidiary, or any affiliated company, or as part of the sale to, merger with, or other transfer of our company to another entity.
This page was last updated on 3/13/2015.